Harvestime Assembly

Revival Fire Fall!

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > The New Testament and the Torah

harvestimeassembly
Site Owner

Before we begin we must look at a couple of words in Greek that is used to describe the Law of God and not obeying the Law. The first word is the Greek word Nomos.

Nomos is used primarily in the New Testament for the Law of God. The Strong's # for Nomos is #3551 and it is defined as: "Law, Specifically of Moses.

The next word we will look at is the Greek word Anomia. The Strong's # for Anomia is #458 and is translated in the New Testament as; Lawlessness, Wickedness or Iniquity. The word is derived from Anomos (Strong’s #459 "To break the Law of Moses").

The first Scripture we will look at is the first reference to the "New Covenant" and how the Bible defines it.

Jeremiah 31:31-33 "Behold, days are coming," declares the Lord, "When I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the Lord, "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the Lord, "I will put My law within them, and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." (Also: Heb 8:8)

The "New Covenant" is defined as God writing His law (Hebrew: Torah, Greek: Nomos) on His people's hearts and putting it "within them".

In the New Testament Jesus said:

"Do not think I have come to abolish (Destroy, Do away with) the Law or the Prophets: I have not come to abolish (Destroy, Do away with) them but to fulfill them (Fill to the fullest, give to them the completeness lacking). I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen; will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-19)

Many say that Jesus "accomplished everything on the cross", but if you study this "in context" you will see that there are many more prophecies to be fulfilled by the Messiah, (restoration of all Israel, 1000 yr reign, etc). He fulfilled the atonement but still is prophesied to come back and rule as King Messiah!

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:36-40)

It is argued that Jesus was telling us that these two commandments are the only two we have to obey, but when we read this passage, it clearly is telling us that obedience to the "rest of the Law" depends on first obeying these two.

"Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you, away from me you evildoers! (Matthew 7:21-23)

The word for evildoers in this version is the Greek word Anomos (Those who break the law of Moses) So by direct translation the people whom Jesus will say "Away from Me", are those who break the Laws of Moses.

Paul also speaks about these things:

"Do we, then, nullify the Law by faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the Law." (Romans 3:31)

Paul says that by our faith we should uphold the Law of God.

What did the Messiah come to set us free from the law of God or the law of sin and death?

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me, For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law in my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members." (Romans 7:21-23)

"...through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."

(Romans 8:2)

"the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so." (Romans 8:7)

Some more scriptures.....

"We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commandments. The man who says, "I know Him," but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 John 2:3-4)

"Everyone who sins breaks the Law; in fact SIN IS LAWLESSNESS. (1 John 3:4)

Again, the Greek word for lawlessness is Anomos, (To break the law of Moses)

"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out His commandments. This is the love for God: to obey His commandments, And His commandments are not burdensome." (1 John5:2-3)

There are more scriptures in the New Testament than a short article like this can mention. But it is easy to see that all of the people of God in the bible completely obeyed God's Law and expected the followers of the Messiah to do the same. Any teaching against the Law would obviously come from the one who teaches lawlessness, the "spirit of lawlessness" that will eventually manifest itself as the "man of lawlessness" whom Apostle Paul also called the "Anti-Christ". (1 Thes 2:8-9)

July 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.